Friday, October 29, 2010

The little boy in the blog.

So a while ago our friends Lindsey & Le were in the process of adopting from Ethiopia and since Scott and I have talked about adoption for a long time, we followed the blog. Okay, Scott followed the blog, I stalked it. Well, a friend of theirs had recently flown across the world to get her daughter and bring her home. I'm nosy so I wanted to see more and there was a video of the day she went to go get her little girl.....otherwise known as "Gotcha Day". The video of Lucy Lane's Gotcha Day made me cry. Not the kind of cry where you gently wipe a few tears from your cheek and still look pretty, the kind of cry when you can't catch your breath, your face scrunches up and you wipe the snot away with whatever is within reach. Don't misunderstand, it's not a sad video it's just raw and real and how often do you get to witness the exact moment in time when God's plan comes together and you SEE lives changed. Anyway I showed it to Scott the second he walked in the door and we talked, like we had before about adoption and how we felt that's in our future except that day the talk was different, deeper, but still the same outcome. Now is not the time, God is still working.

Here is Lucy Lane's Gotcha Day Video



So Lindsey is inspiring with her love for orphans, she is truly passionate and it's infectious! She posts a link to this organization called Drawn From Water that I had never heard about. Did I mention I'm nosy? I go to the site and there's a video. Did I mention I love videos? I watch the video. I am changed. Literally, this video changed me. I do not go a day without thinking about this orphanage and these kids.



So just like the song says, now that I have seen, I am responsible. I can feel a sense of responsibility and guilt for not doing more but I have no clue what to do, so I stalk that blog too. For those that are counting, we're up to 3 at this point. Then we fast forward; I start a new job, Scott & I get married, football season starts and we find out we're having a baby. Awesomeness, all of it. Still I check the blog and feel this sense of responsibility and guilt.

Then one day I see this face
and I know that day that while I cannot do much in this world, maybe Scott & I can do something for this little boy. So I email Levi and beg him to tell me who kid #10 is and what we can do. I already know that the children at the Drawn From Water orphanage are not available for adoption at this point, maybe never. Levi tells me that they are starting a sponsorship program and we can be the first sponsors and we can get THIS boy! Well, we do!! So now this little boy is ours; maybe not in our house, but we send our sponsorship and we try to do the best we can to make sure he gets what he needs to feel loved by people he's never met. Who knows, maybe it's in God's plan that someday we could have our own Gotcha Day with Kulo aka kid #10, maybe it's not. Either way this sweet boy is ours,
even if it is in some small way. Seriously, look at that face! Can't wait to get him in an Sooners (or Hawkeyes) shirt!!!

So just pray for Kulo and all those other kiddos who have a new life but still no families. Pray for us as we get ready to welcome this baby but still wonder about other kids that may be ours out there somewhere.

Oh and Lucy Lane's Gotcha Day video didn't just inspire me, watch her 1 year later to see what God has done........it's astounding.

2 comments:

  1. You sound so much like me. Mine started by stocking a friend I went to church with's blog as they adopted 2 from the Ukraine. Then I saw that Linds was adopting and started stalking hers... and from hers I found about 6 others I now go to weekly. My husband always said we could adopt, but never really felt passionate about it until about a week ago he finally gave us the "go ahead" to adopt. We're praying for God's timeing and know that it will be a few years... but in the meantime we do things like donate where and when we can. Shannon was sick last week and didn't get to preach on Orphan Sunday so he is going to do it this week and I am SO excited and praying that more hearts will be changed and more "stalkers" will join. I love that God used these blogs for both of us. Oh, and Congratulations onthe baby!

    ReplyDelete